Saturday, January 23, 2010

TORTELLINI SOUP


Well this week after all the rain and crazy weather that we had, I decided to make something that makes me feel all warm and cozy inside--- hence the soup choice. It came out of a cookbook that my 6th grade class made where each kid contributed a recipe and then we bound them into little cook books. There are several recipes that I am looking forward to trying out of it.

The tortellini soup is courtesy Missy Waltz- so thanks Missy!

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 lbs. italian sausage
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
5 c. beef broth
8 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. dry red wine
4 c. chopped tomatoes
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 c. chopped zucchini
8 oz. tortellini
3 tbs. parsley
1 chopped green pepper

1.) Brown the sausage in a pot
2.) Add the rest of the ingredients in the order they are listed.
3.) Simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes
4.) Skim off any fat
5.) DONE and serve with parmesan cheese

This recipe is SO EASY but it is SO DELISH! I recommend it to everyone. Next time I make it I want to add some spice- maybe use spicy sausage and throw in some black pepper or something.

PS- I know the picture shows a crock-pot but I cooked it in a regular pot- I just kept it warm in this.


2 comments:

  1. Greaat recipe! I decided that I would make this for Bill last night. It turned out great. I spiced it up by adding Worchestershire sauce and cajun shake spice. He loved it and so did I. I am enjoying trying some of your recipes.Thanks Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Yum! Yum! This is a great receipe. I have a new favorite soup! Love, Bill

    ReplyDelete