Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Birthday Wishes

I have decided that I like turning 28. I am not going to fight it (like it does any good). I decided that I like the way it sounds - like I am mature and know what I am doing in life. Interestingly enough I feel much the opposite sometimes.

You know those daily calendars where you rip a page off everyday? Well I have one of those ... well had... it was for 2009... I digress... and each page had a daily affirmation. As I tend to not be the most sensitive (I know, you are all shocked at this revelation) most of the affirmations I found cheesy or ridiculous. However, I had an "Aha!" moment (otherwise known as an epiphany I guess, but I find "Aha!" moments much more relatable) as I pondered one of the affirmations.

I do not recall the exact wording but the saying was something like, "I have dreams, and I deserve to have them come true." As I thought about this statement, I saw not only its truth, but I saw that it was time to take action.

Growing up dreams are rainbows, wishing wells, and fairy Godmothers. Always an outside source coming in and rescuing the princess from her mundane reality and transforming it into what she has always wanted. My conclusion was obviously not that one day my fairy Godmother would bibity-bobity-boo my dreams into reality, but that my dreams were merely that- fanciful, absurd fantasies. How foolish of me...

We are accountable for our own future, and if our dreams don't come true we have no one to blame but ourselves. This seems so obvious yet the reality of it eluded me until now. My "Aha!" moment has spurred me on to take steps to reach my dreams; to not let them become stagnant, musty aspirations in the closet.

Take hold of your dreams, know them, and make your own dreams come true.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! I know this is a late, but I just read your posting.

    Read the McManus book I sent you guys...Wide Awake. He talks a lot about our dreams and how important they are.

    ReplyDelete