Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Locker Room Journal???

I have some BEEF to discuss with everyone.

What is the deal with locker room etiquette these days??? I mean seriously... there have been multiple things that have happened to me in the past that has made me think this, but earlier today I experienced something that prompted me to address this topic.

As usual, the gym is overrun with the "New Years Resolutioners" all January long. Being an advocate for living a healthy lifestyle, I cope relatively well with the vast influx of people and support their decision to get in shape. There are many nuisances that accompany the over populated gym but I venture to say that one of the most frustrating places to encounter this is in the locker room.

Earlier today I hit the gym around 4 p.m., much later than I would normally go, but duty calls and sometimes things get pushed back. As I was finishing my workout at approximately 5 p.m., it dawned on me that the locker room would be packed as I got ready to go back to work. Not able to do anything about it now, I forged my way into the locker room.

There were about 10 girls in various states of dress (or undress), most getting ready to get their workout on, but a few seemed to be finishing up like me. As I was heading over to my locker I noticed a girl sitting on the bench blocking it. This is not very uncommon considering the locker room is quite small and the lockers are stacked two high, so often you have to politely ask someone to move while they are tying their shoes or trying to get everything settled. This girl was different tho (Herein after defined as "Rude Girl").

As I approached I noticed that she was not sweaty, but she was in workout clothes. Her jacket and gym bag were tossed on her right, while her purse (and its contents) were strewn out to her left; in all blocking at least four lockers. I roll my eyes (to myself of course) and try to ignore the indecency and politely ask her to move her purse. She shoots an annoyed look at me, loudly sighs, and proceeds to barely move her purse so that it is still partially blocking my locker. I smiled tightly and opened my locker anyway.

As I begin to change out of my clothes I notice that Rude Girl is not utilizing the locker room as one would think, to get get changed, but is actually JOURNALING. Appropriate? I think not. As a writer I can sympathize that sometimes ideas hit you and you need to jot them down right away before you forget, but I had the distinct feeling that this was more of a "Dear Diary..." moment.

The journaling is weird, but then Rude Girl proceded to answer her phone loudly and began to carry on a long (AND LOUD) conversation, busily exchanging juicy gossip that no one in the locker room cares about or wants to hear.

I go shower and when I return, Rude Girl is now off her phone but has gone back to journaling, appearing annoyed whenever she has to move her stuff for other people. I change and get ready as quick as I can and when I leave I notice that Rude Girl has now put away her journal but appears to be texting or something of the sort on her cell phone. I shake my head and leave the gym fuming a bit.

So... now as I write I start to think of other things that people do in locker rooms that REALLY bother me and I would like to propose a few common courtesy rules that I would like to see in place in the gym locker rooms.

1.) No cell phone usage except for necessary quick calls
2.) Keep personal items in minimal space
3.) No journaling and/or miscellaneous activities that can be done anywhere else
4.) No stretching in the locker room- there is space in the gym for that
5.) No prolonged nakedness ( i.e. I do not want to see you standing there naked for 10 minutes while you blowdry your hair)
6.) Be courteous and considerate of others and their personal space

Those are my thoughts- if anyone else agrees- pass on the love. Peace out cupcakes!

3 comments:

  1. I just laughed so hard at number 5 cause I know what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5: there was a woman like that at my previous employment and I pretended she was Cat Woman. I had suspected early on that all the bending, prancing and sa-shaying took place because she misplaced her suit. At least it made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn Denice that is so funny-- now I am always going to think of that!

    ReplyDelete