Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New year, new start

As lame and predictable as this sounds, at the end of a year, I can't help but reflect on all that happened over the past 12 months. Remembering the beginning of the year is somewhat of a stretch for my memory (I'm gettin' old aight?!?!) but I'll try to sum up 2009...

The year began with saying goodbye to my wonderful, beloved Grandma Wilma Buck. My only consolation in letting her go is that I know she is in Heaven with Jesus and is, quite honestly, experiencing greater things than she ever did on Earth. I had been fortunate enough in life that I had not yet lost any loved ones very close to me, so losing her had more of an impact on me than I was prepared for or expected.

This year we also experienced the harsh reality of our economy when the husband lost his job due to the company he was working for going under. Instead of stressing (well ok- minor stressing...), we lifted our prayers to God and asked him for guidance and provision, and like He always does, he came thru. The husband has since started his own marketing company and while we aren't making retirement plans, we are able to pay our bills and live a comfortable life (all while he is getting to do something he has always dreamed of- being his own boss and getting to use his skill set). I am immensely impressed by his daily fortitude, and while I know that the Lord sustains him, his faithfulness to our family can only be admired. I am so blessed to have such a husband.

I was also blessed to be the matron (Ugh- hate that word- could it sound ANY older!?!?) of honor for my dear friend (SISTER) Jessica Araujo. Getting to stand by her and see her make her wedding vows was truly an amazing experience, and I am truly honored that I was able to take part in it. God was glorified that day, and you can't ask for anything more than that.

We also acquired our second cat, meant to be a friend for our first cat, however first cat does not like new cat and they still continue to squabble (Six months later I still have hopes for reconciliation). I never thought I would own cats- I have always adored dogs- but these cats are my babies and I protect and love them fiercely. HAHA... I just had to laugh at myself... I just described my love for my CATS as FIERCE... easy dramatic!

If nothing else, the love for my cats awakened a maternal instinct in me that I thought would not come to exist for at least a few more years. I distinctly remember the summer day that Chris, the lead pastor at our church, asked us to speak on Sunday about what God was/meant to us. On that Sunday, I bared my soul to our church family about my desire for children. While tears fell freely and my voice uncontrollably shook, I shared the frustration of having to wait on God's timing, but also rejoicing in his strength and knowing that His plan is perfect. My view is like looking thru a telescope. I am zoomed in on one specific part of the night sky, and all I can see is that one star and I am captivated by its beauty. I have to remind myself that God sees my one star, but it is merly a small part of the vast canvas that is the universe. There is so much more than that one star waiting for us.

I have gone thru a bit of a growing period this year as well. I felt the very foundation of my life shaken and I was surprised to find that the aftershocks are harder to deal with than the original earth quake. This process was long and sometimes painful, but I feel like I have emerged from it a stronger and better person.

My love for my family and friends continues to grow daily. My appreciation for those close to me is unfathomable and I would do anything for them. There are a few I would like to specifically name.To Shanna: my dear friend who gave birth to her very own miracle in April this year. She has never wavered throughout our many years of friendship, and particularly loved me during a time when I simply felt unloveable. To Karen and Therese: You are two perfect puzzle pieces that I was missing in my life, and I am so grateful to have grown close to you. Thank you for sharing the woes and joys of this year with me. Our adventures inspire laughter and sometimes chaos, and I can only hope to make so many more memories with you girls... maybe just laughter tho... less chaos please! :) To Kayla: who gives tough love by playing devil's advocate, challenges me to think differently, never judges my actions, and faithfully loves my heart. To the Araujo family: how I would survive in Southern California with out you is a mystery me (and I'd like to not find out!). You all mean so much to me (Steve included!), that even in this moment, as I sit at my computer trying to sum up in words that could possibly describe how you have impacted my life, tears of love and gratitude well up in my eyes. Words simply elude me(I think that's nuff said). To my family and in-laws: the bonds and relationships that we share are unsurpassable and I am utterly convinced that I, do indeed, have the most incredible family. And lastly to my Boo: my rock, my comforter, my best friend, my eternal love. Life with you certainly has its challenges, but life with out you would be unbearable. You show me love like no other, and you allow me to know love in a way I never knew possible. Thank you for being a part of my life; I am blessed merely to know you, I am profoundly blessed to be married to you.

There is nothing left to say, but thanks for a great 2009, and cheers to 2010.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment