Wednesday, December 9, 2009

raising life

I'm currently sitting in my oversized recliner, wrapped in a blanket, watching my favorite TV Show (FRIENDS!) when one of my cats, Jasmine, jumps up into my lap, cuddles down, and falls asleep. If you would have told me a few years ago that this would be happening I would have laughed in your face, seeing as I am not a cat person, and have never wanted to own one... I am now a proud owner of two cats. The first one, Elizabeth, we adopted when her owner unfortunately had some health problems and needed to go into assisted living. She was going to be put in a shelter and after I worked the puppy-dog eyes on the husband, he agreed to adopt her. Jasmine came along because we thought that maybe Elizabeth was lonely, so we went to the animal shelter and picked her out. Oddly enough, Lizzie didn't want a friend and six months later the cat's have now learned how to peacefully live with each other, but are far from friends. I love both cats very much and certainly more than I ever thought I was capable of.

And now as I watch her sleep peacefully in my lap, I think about how wonderful it is to care for another life and how much I love it. She is helpless and completely depends upon me and the husband's care for her quality of life. And as stupid as this sounds, I love her so much... and yes I realize she's just a cat people, but still... when you are caring for a life that is dependent on you, there is something about it.

It's no secret that I want to be a mom and seeing this precious kitty on my lap brings up maternal instincts in me. I hope and pray for children of my own soon... I feel so ready and pray that God is going to bless me with them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment