Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Angry Mad Post

I am frustrated...beyond frustrated...I am mad.

One of my passions is to help those with problems I have struggled with. One of my greatest struggles in life has been my weight and the eating disorders that have accompanied that. One of my friends recently confessed that she is struggling with Body Dysmorphic Disorder. In order to help her, I felt it prudent to research.

So diligently I sat at my computer and typed in "understanding body dysmorphic disorder" into the web browser. Instantly there was a list of resources for me to peruse. After clicking on a few, I was more than disappointed; I was horrified.

These sites, which many rely upon as "resources" to tackle their disorders, felt like it was a good idea to advertise dieting tips, weight loss regimes, weight loss pills, exercise programs, and one advertisement even proclaimed (in call caps no less), "Click here to obtain the perfect body!"

With frustrated tears in my eyes I angrily closed the browser and began to cry softly. Not for myself, but for others who have viewed this atrocity. To know that people with serious problems are exposed to this hypocrisy is saddening, disheartening, and exasperating. They come searching for hope but instead are immediately detracted by the array of defamations on the screen.

I imagine what people's response might be if I were to walk into an AA meeting with a bottle of vodka and began to pass out shots. Not making them take the shot, but putting it in their hand while they are actively pursuing help. I envision that many would get angry, throw me out, perhaps exude some level of violence... and to be honest... I wouldn't blame them. It is arguable that when people with dangerous addictions seek help that they are fighting for their lives, and what I have done is shown a callous disrespect for not only their decision to seek help, but also their well being, their future, and their existence.

I know that many struggle with a variety of eating disorders. This pains me because I know that the issue is not normally about the body, but it seems to be. It is normally a heart and mind issue, something that we are wounded from and are still recovering. If you suffer, I pray that you are able to see past the vanity of the world, to see into your soul, and to find your worth as God intended. If anyone reading this ever needs a listening ear on the matter I am more than willing to listen and lend advice should you want it. This issue hits home for me.

Nobody should feel unloved, especially by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment