Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Corned Beef Brisket ma' laddies


No--- I am not Irish--- but in honor of St. Patrick's Day and seeing as I have NEVER eaten any of the "traditional" Irish dishes I have decided to make corned beef and cabbage... well and potatoes and onion and carrots... everything else that goes in the crock pot. Read on for the recipe...



INGREDIENTS:

8 lbs. flat cut Corned Beef (you could get point cut also- but I used the flat)
Five gold potatoes cut into quarters
One medium white onion cut in half
3 cloves of garlic
Two cups baby carrots
One head of cabbage cut in quarters
12 oz. Guinness beer (you could use another similar beer, and you may need more depending on how big your crockpot is-it just needs to be enough to mostly cover the meat- it is always ok to buy extra beer tho!)

The crock pot is quickly becoming my best friend in the new recipe issue, especially considering how busy life has been lately. It makes cooking so easy! This is how I made the brisket...

I put the brisket in the bottom of the crockpot, poured in the little seasoning packet that came with it, and crushed the garlic on top. Then I poured the beer over that. Then I put in the potatoes, onion, carrots, finishing with the cabbage on very top.

NOW all you have to do is plug in the crockpot, turn it on low, and LEAVE! I did this at 7 in the morning, left for work, and then came home at 6 and it was ALL ready. Ideally it wouldn't have cooked this long- it really only needs somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. The potatoes were a bit overdone but otherwise it turned out pretty good.

Seeing as I have never had corned beef before, I had no idea what to expect. It is pretty good, nothing that I would order all the time, but still good. What I REALLY loved was the carrots... but I have always really liked cooked carrots, but the broth that is created as it cooks all day long was SOOOO... good! It sorta tasted like au jus (the stuff that comes with a french dip... feel free to correct my spelling) but BETTER.

I think the best part about this recipe was the leftovers! I made Billy a sandwich with some of the leftover meat in Hawaiian wheat rolls with mozzarella cheese and it was quite scrumptious.

Whereas it wasn't quite the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for me, maybe it will be for someone else. Keep on cookin' cuppies


No comments:

Post a Comment