Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Road to Boston: Part III, Five Weeks…

Ugh five weeks… as each week goes by I feel the knot in my stomach grow and twist simultaneously. Part of me is eager for the race to be here merely so I can get it over with and have it behind me, but the other part of me insecurely whispers, “Am I ready?”

The truth is I have no doubt that I will finish, and if finishing was my only goal then I would happily run the race tomorrow. Qualifying for the Boston is an ambitious goal and I’m not entirely sure that I prepped properly for it. While I took my training seriously, I found myself easily side-tracked and swapping runs for other types of workouts.  Running has become an inane chore that I cannot wait to be free of for quite some time.
The stress and pressure of qualifying weigh heavily on me, and being a perfectionist to the core, my drive to not fail is both motivating and crippling. It is motivating because on the days where I just want to quit the mantra, “Champions don’t quit,” plays repeatedly in my mind. However, the stress cripples me greatly as it affects my sleep, my eating, and my energy levels. I feel like my mind is self-sabotaging itself and as the will to succeed and the fear of failure battle, my resolve is weakened.

The ability to succeed lies heavily ones belief in themselves and their capabilities. Unfortunately I am greatly lacking in this… my confidence in myself is limited and my self-esteem has suffered greatly for many years. So while I am typically I very positive and strong person, when it comes to doubting myself and my capacity to perform and do things well, it is too easy for me to say, “I’m not good enough.”

A good friend, may he rest in peace, told me a long time ago that I had lion eyes; it was one of the first things he said to me upon our meeting. After getting to know me a bit more, he told me, “You don’t just have lion eyes… you have the heart of a lion… you’re basically a lioness.” I just laughed, but on the inside, loved the thought of being compared to such a magnificent creature.
I have had others say similar things to me since, and I have realized that until I have the faith in myself that others do, I need to make my best effort to see myself the way that others see me… like a lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment