Saturday, February 6, 2010

Banana Crepes meets Bananas Foster...sort of

I almost blew my New Year's Resolution! This week was crazy busy and Saturday evening rolled around and I still hadn't made a new meal yet---AHHHH!! So after some thinking I decided to do something sweet and picked out a nice Banana Crepe recipe. After I picked it out I spotted the triple sec in our refrigerator and remembered when a friend made Bananas Foster but used triple sec in place of the rum. I decided that I would make the bananas in the modified Bananas Foster way.

INGREDIENTS:

Crepes
1 cup flour
3 eggs-lightly beaten
5 tblsp. butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt

Bananas
3 bananas-cut in half both ways
4 tblsp. butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 triple sec

Make the bananas first. Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the brown sugar and triple sec and bring to a low simmer. Add the bananas and cook for a few minutes on each side, spooning mixture over the bananas. Remove bananas from pan and set aside.

Mix all the crepe ingredients together. Heat a pan on medium-high heat and apply anti-stick spray. Put a small amount of batter in the pan and coat the bottom of the pan evenly (the layer will be very thin). Let it cook until the bottom is a golden brown, then remove from the pan and place two banana halves in the center of the crepe and roll it up. Repeat process until you are out of crepe batter or bananas. Add some whip cream (or you can add ice cream) to the top and eat while still warm.

I like this recipe- it was sweet but not dessert sweet. The next day I did more traditional crepes with mixed berries on the inside and it was really good too. The crepe batter is the best that I have had; it has wonderful flavor and maintains the light, delicate taste that makes the crepe a great treat. I look forward to using the crepe batter with strawberries, and will also try it with ham and cheese blintz varieties.

Overall, I probably would not intermingle the two recipes again and would stick to more traditional crepe flavors. But if you like bananas, I do recommend looking up a good Bananas Foster recipe as it is SO DELISH!

Until next time, cuppies, keep cooking and definitely keep eating. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment